Saturday, July 19, 2008


I promised Delores I would do this post for her. This is the making of "Look-a-like Louie"
I received the pictures from Delores and went to work sculpting out Louies face
After sanding his features smooth, I put four coats of fleshtone acrylic paint before blending in his highlights. After sealing the paint with flat acrylic sealer, I added the mechanics in his head. I attached his head to a post and sealedthem together so there would be no seam. Then I made his body from 1/2 inch pine board and connected the upper and lower torso with dowels and 1 inch grade 2 furring strips. I padded the body and connected his arms and legs and dressed him up in this smart suit. Here is a picture of the subject and a finished picture of "Louie"

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Finishing up a "ham"

Well I finally finished this guy. I can almost hear the delivery of the first joke. Vent: I've got a fresh ham here"
Ham: (Whistles) Hey sweetie want a kiss?!! Hey Mr, you left your hair at home. Hey grandma is your hair sad? It looks a little blue today!!!

Anyway, here he is, It took awhile to figure out his design and the layout but He's ready to go to Mexico. I've been giving him spanish lessons. I hope he's better than I am. If he doesn't speak up quick, he might become dinner!

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fresh Ham!

I've been working on this project for Duque Delbot in Mexico. He wanted a leg of pork that could talk. It took me awhile to figure how i was going to do this one. I remember reading Clinton's blog an seeing the bats that he turned into ventriloquist figures. If I cut the top half of the bat off, split it down the side, then put one half on each side of the bottom part of the bat connecting the top at the edge of the bat and the bottom snug against the handle, I would get the shape I was looking for. I then covered it with a thin layer of magic-sculpt and then cut out a mouth and eyes. I formed the bottom jaw with the epoxy and belt sanded the sides to fit. then I attached the eyes inside the frame and built his face around them. I formed a pigs foot at the bottom of the bat and started putting in the mechanics. Here is the unpainted result. He should be finished by the end of this weekend. When he is, I will post more pictures. Have a great day!