Hope everyone had a happy new year. This has been a tough few weeks for us. Darlene is basically imobile and I spend most of my time taking care of her when I am not at work. I apoligize to Bob and Dan for the length of time it is taking me to finish this project. It seems we have been having one tragedy after another in this family.
I installed Bob's mouth and sealed it in place. I also made his eyes. I used a 1 1/2" dowel and cut it down to the width of the eyes I wanted. I used a 1/4 inch paddle bit to drill the iris placement. I added a little magic sculpt to round out the top and the bottom of the dowel to give the eye a round shape. I painted the dowel white and installed the iris. I painted a black ring around the iris to give the eye more "pop".
I drilled a wire sized hole through the top of the dowel and used a piece of brass wire to go through it. Imade an "S" shape on the top and the bottom of the wires and 1/4 of an inch tail a the end. I drilled a wire sized hole in the back of each dowel and installed the wire which will hold the eye to the linkage.
I made a linkage from a 3 inch long piece of wood cut 1/4 inch thick and 1/2 inch thick.
I drilled a hole on each side about 1/2 inch from the end of each side. I then wrapped some thick wire around the piece of wood and created a loop that will be the guide for the control rod.
I set the eyes in to the head with some magic sculpt above and beloqw the eye and pushed the tail of the brass wire into the magic sculpt at the top and bottom. When it dried, I was able to adjust the eye positioning because of the "S" shape I made in the brass wire at the top and the bottom. I then connected the eyes to the wooden armature.
I added a "finger" to the inside of the mouth and put an eye hook in in which I will connect a spring to later on.
Bob has his first coat of paint. After he dries, I will shade him more and seal him. Then I will install his head post and eyebrows. As always, anything I can help anyone with, feel free to contact me at email@example.com