Friday, July 27, 2007

Ever been afraid?




Good Morning all.


I received several e-mails from Charlie who owns P.J., a figure that we made here at Gepetto's Workshop. His father, a very nice man, ordered P.J. for Charlies birthday.


Charlie asks if I have ever been a ventriloquist and if I was afraid the first time.


I emailed him back but thought it would be a good topic to discuss.


I have been doing vent acts for many years and it never changes. I always have butterflies before I start. Once I start and get my first smiles and laughs, it goes away.


There was a time that I dreaded different groups to perform in front of. I finally picked a certain group that I felt most comfortably working with. The audience I prefer is children. I have never been comfortable doing adult comedy although I have done it. Children receive ventriloquism in wonder and become mesmerized while they watch. That's what brings me joy, therefore, they are the group I prefer. Their laughter is addicting and their energy levels are great for ad libbing.


Don't ever be afraid to entertain Charlie. It is the greatest feeling in the world when you bring laughter and smiles to others. You'll get over the butterflies and want to do it all the time.


Anyone else have a story they would like to share about entertaining in front of their first audience? If so, email me at www.gepettosworkshop@yahoo.com I will share them with my readers. Thanks!

2 comments:

Trenon Graham Ventriloquist said...

yes once i was afraid when i did a church vent service of 200 or more people But once i landed my first line I was Greaat!!!!!!!!!!

Magic Mondays Team said...

yep, it's all about the comedy. Once the audience realise that, you are home free and you also start to relax into it. Those nerves can then be chanelled into positive energy as opposed to the negative kind.

Comedy and character is what it is all about for me. Thinking simply of how the audience percieved my act right at the start (whilst I was learning) I would always much rather they came out saying that guy was a great comedian than that guy was an average ventriloquist...if you know what I mean. I'm not suggesting they EVER thought I was am average ventriloquist but as we all know at the beggining you often think that of your self. Everyone fears rejection.